Picking a rifle barrel for a precision rifle can be a confusing situation. This is especially true of specialized rifle cartridges like the .350 Legend. The .350 Legend is a niche rifle round developed to meet the needs of a very specific group of hunters.
The .350 Legend cartridge is a straight-walled rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms. Many states have regulations that permit straight-walled rifle cartridges during the normal shotgun deer hunting season. The .350 Legend (9×43 mm) is a SAAMI standardized round.
No matter what the reason, the choice of shooting the .350 Legend often leads to the challenge of finding a barrel that meets your requirements. There are certain things to look for in a rifle barrel, like the material from which the barrel is made, the way the rifling is cut, and the twist rate. Barrel length and the barrel profile all must be considered as well.
The Best .350 Legend Barrels – Our Top Picks
Let’s face facts. Picking the best .350 Legend Barrels is somewhat subjective. What is good for one type of shooter may be totally inappropriate for another. A barrel that is accurate on one rifle action may not work well with another rifle action.
You also have to consider what type of barrel you want. Are you interested in a sporter barrel, straight or taper match barrels, or do you need a competition Palma contour barrel features? For this reason, I have decided to focus each selection on specific categories of .350 Legend barrels.
1. Faxon Gunner Profile AR-15 Barrels
Faxon is a new competitor in the gun accessory and parts market. Bob Axton started Faxon in 2012 with an AR-15 of his own design. Faxon products have quickly built a reputation for high quality. Faxon barrels come with a wide range of features that make these AR-15 barrels excellent choices for an AR-15 platform custom build.
- Available in three popular barrel lengths – 12.5 inches, 16 inches, 20 inches
- Exceptional nitride finish
- Made of 4150 CMV steel
- Button rifling
- Carbine length gas systems
- Muzzle thread 1/2 x 28 standard threading allows the use of almost any mil-spec muzzle devices such as suppressors, a muzzle brake, or a flash hider
- Weight 1.61 pounds
- 11-degree target crown for excellent accuracy
- .750 inches gas block diameter
These barrels from Faxon are manufactured in-house in Cincinnati, Ohio for a true made-in-the-USA barrel. The Gunner profile is a hybrid of a standard government profile and a pencil profile barrel, giving the best performance of each style. The major advantage is to move the weight back toward the shooter, giving better balance and reducing fatigue.
The combination of accuracy, machining excellence, and the unique blended profile get this barrel my nod as the overall best barrel for an AR platform build. These Faxon barrels will give exceptional service to meet the expectations of almost any shooter.
2. CMMG 16.1-Inch .350 Legend AR-15 Barrel
CMMG has built a reputation for producing great rifles, sub-assemblies, and accessories for the AR-15 platform. CMMG firearms are some of the most popular in both finished rifle format and in kits. The company takes great pride in its rifles and products. No matter what caliber you shoot, CMMG has a product to fulfill your need.
When it comes to AR-15 barrels, CMMG focuses on providing the highest quality materials and machining at the best price. The money you spend has to return the investment by meeting your needs and expectations.
- The CMMG barrel is a 16.1-inch military specification barrel.
- Each barrel from CMMG is rifled for a 16 in 1 twist rate.
- 4140 Chrome Moly steel is used in the manufacturing of these barrels.
- The muzzle of each barrel is threaded for standard 1/2 inch by 28 accessories such as muzzle brakes, suppressors, and flash hiders.
- A standard carbine gas port is drilled into each of these barrels.
- A salt-bath nitride finish is applied to the inside and outside of each barrel.
I will say that these are not match-grade competition barrels. On the other hand, very few AR-15 barrels are expected to perform to this level of perfection. However, these CMMG barrels are above average for hunting, basic target shooting, and recreational shooting.
Considering that most AR-15 platforms chambered for the .350 Legend cartridge are being used for short to intermediate-range hunting, these CMMG barrels will give exceptional performance. I have used a lot of CMMG parts in AR-15 builds with confidence, and I have not been disappointed.
3. Ballistic Advantage 16″ .350 LEGEND BA HANSON CARBINE LENGTH BARREL
Ballistic Advantage does one thing, and they work hard at doing that one thing well; Ballistic Advantage builds rifle barrels. When you concentrate on one job or project, you tend to become very proficient and expert at that job. This describes the Ballistic Advantage as well as anything else.
When you start investigating AR-15 rifle barrels, you will start to see the reviews of Ballistic Advantage barrels. The vast majority of these reviews consistently rank the AR-15 barrels from Ballistic Advantage as superior in quality and accuracy.
AR Stoner Barrel Features
- Manufactured from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel
- QPQ corrosion-resistant finish
- Nickel boron coated extra-wide feed ramp extension
- A Hanson Profile completes these barrels
- Rifled to a 1 in 16 twist rate
- Comes with a carbine length gas system
- Machined for a 1.03-inch low profile gas block only
- Muzzle threading for 1/2 inch by 28 threads
If you want to compete successfully in competition matches such as three gun, you won’t do much better for the price than one of these Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrels. By all accounts, these are extremely accurate barrels that meet many specifications.
It should be mentioned that Ballistic Advantage manufactures rifle barrels for a number of other companies that brand these barrels with their own names. If you buy another AR-15 barrel chambered for .350 Legend, you may very well have a Ballistic Advantage barrel on your gun.
4. Shaw 350 Legend HBar Helical Flute Barrels
At the top end of our barrel selection is the Shaw .350 Legend HBar helical flute barrels. The unique appearance of these Shaw barrels makes them stand out before you get any further into the process. If you want to carry an AR-15 rifle that looks anything but stock, a Shaw barrel is a great choice.
Shaw is a company that is proud of its reputation and defends it at all costs. If you expect to purchase a rifle barrel in your preferred caliber, a custom barrel from Shaw is the way to go. You can get a Shaw barrel with a precision cut chamber for almost any caliber you can imagine.
.350 Legend Barrel Features
- Shaw has been building barrel and barrel sub-assemblies for many years for other manufacturers and now offers barrels direct to shooters.
- All Shaw Ar-15 barrels are machined from 416R stainless steel.
- These Shaw barrels require a low-profile gas block. An adjustable glass block is recommended for use with the .350 Legend cartridge.
- The finish on these barrels is a polished silver to better accent the fluted barrel design.
- An HBAR profile is used on the Shaw .350 Legend barrels.
- one in sixteen twist rate with an eleven-degree crown.
Aside from the eye-catching helical flutes on the barrel, the Shaw HBAR .350 Legend barrel is an outstanding choice for any shooter. From the choice of 416R stainless steel to the quality of the machining and finishing, you can count on a barrel that will stand out.
The answer to your .350 Legend barrel needs could find its answer in these time-tested barrels from Shaw. A history of quality manufacturing for other companies is your direct from Shaw. You should note that the availability of these barrels is limited, and you may have to wait several weeks for your barrel to be shipped.
5. Wilson Combat AR15 Match Grade Barrel
Anyone who shoots competitively is familiar with Wilson Combat. From their complete rifles to their line of AR-15 accessories, thousands of AR shooters depend on Wilson Combat to build and outfit their rifles.
As the name suggests, these Wilson AR barrels are designed for a combat environment. While the 350 Legend is not a combat rifle cartridge, Wilson Combat builds every barrel like it was going into battle.
- These barrels feature the Wilson Combat recon tactical profile
- Available in a smooth or fluted configuration
- Finished with a matte bead blast on the stainless steel barrel
- Constructed of Type 416R stainless steel
- M4 style feed ramps
- Carbine length gas system
- one in fifteen right-hand twists six grove button rifling
- Muzzle threads cut to 5/8 inch x 24 threads
- .75 inch gas port with dimpled set screw position for exact gas port alignment
I routinely use Wilson Combat parts for custom build AR-based rifles. I can never predict to what uses a customer may put a rifle I build. Consequently, I try to build rifles I will trust under any circumstance or situation. Wilson Combat parts and accessories fulfill that requirement.
If you review comments from shooters who shoot Wilson Combat products, you soon realize that there are very few negative words to be found. These are above-average products that don’t cost an arm and a leg. The Wilson Combat line of barrels is among the best in the business.
Barrels Do Make a Difference
If you want to improve your shooting, it may be time to consider making an easy conversion from your current barrel to a new barrel. A barrel swap on an AR platform rifle that can show immediate results in group sizes are a win when you are trying to improve your rifle. Take some time to study the market and understand your own expectations and needs before purchasing your new barrel.